Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Pages of My Notebook


Hello Dear Readers,

Even wonder where some of these super crafty bloggers get all of their inspirations? Here's a little secret I'll share with you. 

A. We get inspiration from each other! Just like you get inspiration from us!

B. We write it all down!

Every true crafter, blogger, designer, or typical Martha Stewart wanna be has a notebook. Not just any notebook...her notebook's pages are filled with records, ideas, sketches, failed experiments and "knock em outa dat ballpark" ideas! Once I've got an idea, I grab my notebook right away and jot it down. With life as hectic as it is, you don't want one brilliant inspiration to slip by. 

So here's a little peek into my notebook. 


First of all...I have to thank my future mother in law for buying this for me. It's honestly one of the best gifts I've ever gotten...so terribly practical!
Anyways, as you can see in the picture I made my own tabs. All I did was cut out some little tabs, label, and "laminate" with scotch tape. So easy to do and so free too! They help keep my notebook organized and super easy to flip through.


Another tip I recommend for your inspiration notebook, is keeping pages together with a rubber band. This is how I "block off" pages of past ideas I don't need to look at anymore. I can't stand tearing pages out of a gorgeous notebook, and those stupid little paper clips never stay anywhere but the bottom on my purse. The rubber band has been my solution for textbooks too. Such as easy way to keep your place!


So now you're like, "Ok now get to the good stuff!" 
What's actually inside my notebook? Well that's kinda top secret you know....but since you asked so nicely I guess I can give you a peek.
Just this once though ok???

Well as you can see, I print out and "sketch-copy" my favorite ideas and things that just inspire me. I never end up making exactly what I cut out and paste, but I take the "flavors" so to speak and use them in my own creations and doodles. Like I said earlier, craft people get their ideas from each other too!

What thieves  we are all...


Lastly, my most precious pages of all!
Feel very special readers...very few people actually get to glimpse these pages.

Introducing...my doodle pages. Actually, all I'm gonna show you is that one above. 
I fly to these pages, pencil in hand, when I'm feeling sad, happy, lonely, in love, whatever! Sometimes I don't even know what I'm drawing...I just let the pencil take over and my hand follows. 

These are also the pages were a lot of my blog illustrations are born. That little girl in the mustard hat at the top of the blog page? Yeah, she was born here in my notebook. All I do it scan in my images, add some color, and tadaa! You've got a cutsey digital doodle!

Well guys, that's it for now. I hope you enjoyed this little sneak peek into a crafter's files. What do you guys do to keep records? Don't tell me you use the favorites button on your browser...please don't say that.

I WILL run from this room screaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy!