Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cut down your grocery bill: lets save some money!


Goooood Sunday morning readers!
It's about 6 am and I am wide awake. Why not do a post on frugalness? 

When you're trying to save money, it's so obvious to cut all the extra expenses. Cable TV, all those paid for apps on your phone, going out to dinner three times a week. Those are all obvious things that people cut when they need to lower their monthly spending.

But what about groceries? Everyone needs those! How do you cut your bill and still have enough food for your family? I'm going to give you some of my tips and tricks that I use to cut out grocery bill way way down. 

I'm not an expert and I'm always learning from other frugal bloggers, but I don't mind sharing my own personal advice.


1. Make your shopping list while looking at the flyers. 

I always plan my meals and shopping list around what's on sale. If ground meat is on discount, then I plan tacos. chili, hamburgers, and things like that. Different meats go on sale on different weeks so you won't get stuck eating the same thing over and over. 

2. Write down brand names that are on sale.

Why did I want three boxes of Kelloggs cereal again? Oh yeah! It's buy one get two this week! 
Write down that key information on your list. If you're anything like me, its easy to forget why you're buying a particular brand. 

3. Only cut and print coupons that you will use.

Never ever cut out a coupon just because it's a good deal. If it's for an item you wouldn't buy anyway, then it's wasting money!

4. Stock Up

Now don't go all crazy on me and buy 200 packages of toilet paper. But if you see a great deal, like buy one get two on a package of english muffins, buy 2 and get 4 more! Freeze those puppies and you've just saved yourself some dough (ha ha, get it?) and an item off your next shopping list. 

I've also stocked up on cans of soup when they've gone on a super sale. It's great to pull one out of the pantry to add to a crock-pot meal or even when hubby needs a quick dinner. 

5. Don't buy on the spot.

This is such a hard one. I'm still mastering this rule. Imagine yourself pushing your cart with your list in hand and you've got a big smile on your face. You're doing great and you're saving money! Yay you!
Oh but something catches your eye.
It's those cookies you used to get when you were a kid. The kind Mom would always pack in your lunch. And they have a limited valentine edition with little heart sprinkles and pink frosting!
Before you know it you've got three packages pilled up in your cart next to the bagels.

Now stop and think. Is it okay to treat yourself every once and a while? Of course! Just don't let that little episode happen in every aisle okay?

So there are some of my top 5 tips for cutting down your grocery bill. I'm still mastering the art of frugal living, but I hope you found something helpful somewhere up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy!