Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hedgehogged


I don't really know why, but I've always loved animals that were a little different. Others girls wanted cats as pets, and I wanted an elephant! Wouldn't that be the sweetest thing? To ride to school on the back of an elephant named Edna?!

Now it's hedgehogs that have grabbed my attention. I think that it would be the coolest thing to have a little hedgehog as a pet. This calls for research!


"The name 'hedgehog' came into use around the year 1450, derived from the Middle English 'heyghoge', from 'heyg', 'hegge' = hedge, because it frequent shedgerows, and 'hoge', 'hogge' = hog, from its piglike snout."


- 16.00 dollars on Etsy 

"Hedgehogs are easily recognized by their spines, which are hollow hairs made stiff with keratin. Their spines are not poisonous or barbed and, unlike the quills of a porcupine, cannot easily be removed from the hedgehog. However, spines normally come out when a hedgehog sheds baby spines and replaces them with adult spines. This is called "quilling." "



"Hedgehogs are popular pets all over the world, ranging from the United States, where they are kept as indoor pets, to Britain, where pet hedgehogs have the run of the garden to help with pest control."

"Hedgehogs prefer roomy cages to live in, and should not be allowed to roam the house without supervision. You can use bedding designed for small mammals, and add a litter box for the hedgehog... Hedgehogs also appreciate having a secure place to hide, so provide a small nesting box to curl up in."


So according to the rest of my web surfing, hedgehogs can me cute little pets. 
With a price range of 250-400 dollars though...it might not be in my budget.
Oh well...I guess a pet goldfish could be cool.

What's your dream pet?

3 comments:

  1. I knew someone who had a hedgehog as a pet once. They're DARLING little critters!
    My heart also melts over sugar gliders, but you really have to be a dedicated care giver to have them, I think.
    My hubby-to-be and I really want to adopt a bearded dragon. My best friend has two of them, and I was SHOCKED to discover that they actually have very distinct personalities and are super friendly and fun. I found a reptile rescue in my area that regularly has them for adoption so once we have the big aquarium, lighting, etc. all ready, we're hoping to bring one home!
    - Mandi (www.lifeinbeta.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgoodness, these things are adorable beyond belief. And expensive. Cute blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hedgehogs are sooooo cute. I say save your pennies for one! I love that in Britain they just live in the gardens for pest control. Thanks for your input. I think I will just take your advice and leave my header where it is!

    As an aside, Guinea Pigs are super pets. Mine loves to cuddle and chatter and they are adorable as babies, although they may bite off pieces of your hair. They love hair and cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!